Enrollment in the Charlotte School of Ballet is for the 2013-14 school year beginning August 19, 2013 Students will be charged for classes as registered whether or not classes have been attended until a Registration Change form is submitted to the business office. All withdrawals require a Registration Change form to be submitted 30 days prior to withdrawals.
Attending class is the responsibility of each student. It is important to attend all classes in order to progress with training. Classes missed due to sickness, school holidays and other obligations may be made up in another class. Classes missed due to ballet examinations, rehearsals, performances or other unavoidable events will be rescheduled. Please inform us if you will be missing a lesson. Students are expected to arrive at the studio in time for the start of their class. In the interest of injury prevention, the school reserves the right to have students who are tardy to observe class. Credit or refunds will not be given for classes not attended. Pointe students must take a technique class prior to a pointe class unless the class is designated as a pointe technique class. Students on pointe must take at least three technique classes per week in addition to pointe classes in order to dance on pointe. Students with excessive absence or tardiness may be taken off pointe.
- Students are required to be properly dressed for all classes. Failure to comply with the dress code may result in having to sit out of class.
- Student’s name should be in all leotards, tights and shoes.
- Street clothes should be worn over ballet attire when coming to and from class. Dance shoes should never be worn outside as this brings dirt onto the dance floor as well as wearing out shoes quicker.
- All female ballet students are required to wear the appropriate leotard for the class level, ballet pink tights and pink ballet shoes. Hair should be neatly tied back into a bun. Short hair can be pulled back off the face with a headband. Please provide your child with the necessary items to put hair up.
- No Ballet skirts above the primary level except by permission of teacher. Only approved CBS skirts may been worn at any time.
- The Royal Academy of Dance syllabus includes character work which requires a black character skirts and black character shoes. This applies to students in Grade I and above.
- Tap students: black tap shoes, a solid color leotard and black jazz pants.
- Jazz students: black jazz shoes, black jazz pants and a solid color leotard.
- Modern students uniform is a solid color leotard and black stirup tights.
- Boys wear navy or black shorts, white t shirt and socks, black shoes.
Please respect the traditions and art of dance and follow the dress codes. Official uniform leotards, tights and shoes can be purchased in The Ballet Boutique.
Make Up Classes
We encourage students to make up missed lessons. We ask that you call or email the office if you plan to attend a make up lesson. Classes must be made up within in 30 days of the missed lesson. In the case of inclement weather call the studio, there will be a message stating if we will be holding classes. We do not necessarily follow the school system. Classes missed due to weather will not be rescheduled, but you are welcome to make them up in another class.
Parent Teacher Communication
Teachers are always happy to speak with you! However, we ask that families call or email the office to schedule a convenient time for a conference. We kindly ask that you not stop teachers between classes to talk as this delays the start of the next class.
The studio newsletter To The Pointe is distributed several times a year to inform you of upcoming events. Most communication is through email. Please make sure we have a current email for you. If you are not receiving emails please contact the business office. Notices will be posted on the bulletin board beside the office. Please check frequently.
We ask students and families to please respect the facilities. No Food or Drink allowed in the studio. Please pick up after yourselves and throw away trash. Adequate supervision should be provided for siblings. Clothes left for more a few weeks will be taken to a donation center.
The Charlotte School of Ballet is a very active studio. We need your help! We are the home studio for The Charlotte Youth Ballet, the host studio for examinations of The Royal Academy of Dance, London England as well as for the Cecchetti Council of America. Additionally dancers attend the North Carolina School of the Arts Dance Festival in Winston Salem each year.
There is an extensive costume collection which frequently needs organizing and often costumes are in need of repairs. If you would like to help us we would greatly appreciate your assistance.
Starting in the fall sign-ups for class moms will start. The volunteer will be in communication with the business office and instructors for not only disseminating vital information but also communicating concerns as the season progresses. The position requires minimum time but helps our parents and staff to remain informed.
The Recital is the end of the year performance highlighting all of our students. Participation is encouraged. We assume you will be participating in the recital unless written notice is given to the office prior to October 1, 2013. Otherwise the family accounts will be charged with the appropriate fees. These fees will be due during the current billing cycle.
Costume and Recital Fees
A costume deposit of $60.00 per costume is required. Costume balances are billed in March and will be due by a date to be determined based on delivery of the costumes. Recital
Performance fees due October 1st are as follows:
$ 85.00 per student $160.00 per family
Performance fees and costume deposits are non-refundable. Costumes will not be distributed until all fees for the year are paid in full. Costumes cannot be returned.
Written notice must be given to the business office if a dancer decides to withdraw. Otherwise, tuition will still accrue even if the dancer is not in attendance.